17 August 2012

The Glory of the Short Story


by Fierce Dolan
I started out writing fiction, and by started out I mean dictated stories to my mom, who transcribed them when I was wee. Fiction was always my creative love, specifically short stories. Through my college writing curriculum I embraced the brevity, the economical poetry in saying everything I needed to with as few words as possible. I reveled in what was expressed between the words, as much as the story inked into every line.
I find short stories are like decoding a painting, while longer works are a feature film. Novels give everything away, leaving little for me to scheme, bridge, undo. But short stories with their broad strokes and vivid language, they inform me of the scene, yet allow my imagination to run amok and prod the blanks.
Not only do I adore short fiction, now I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to publish it. Better yet, I get to publish short erotica! Decadent’s The Edge series is a welcomed opportunity to forego the prelude, perhaps even the foreplay, and just get right down to business. It was a perfect opportunity to unveil characters and their complexities in only a glimpse of their lives, starting with Tarik and Wo.
Tarik is an Arab Muslim, though he’s been in the western world long enough to have established a bountiful life in the United States. Wo, a young Navajo man, is proudly out but on the fringe, himself. What possible catharsis could be evoked by their chance meeting, the night of Tarik’s bachelor party, in less than 4,000 words?
On Traveler Through Darkness
A lifetime of want collides with fate the night of Tarik’s bachelor party, fulfilling his deepest secret desire—only it’s not with the strippers his Arab friends hired to cater to his every whim. Uncomfortable with the debauched festivities, Tarik ducks out of the soirĂ©e, stumbling into Wo, a kind Navajo artist, who forces him to say what he really wants, then gives it to him, all night.
From Traveler Through Darkness
“I am so sorry–” Tarik began.
“It’s okay. It was an accident.” The words were rushed as he pulled the soaked sweatshirt from his skin and fanned the dripping tablet. Black smudges coated the fingertips and heel of his left hand.
“I've ruined your work,” Tarik lamented, motioning toward the pad.
“Oh, no. It's just a sketch. I was fascinated with the moonlight on the harbor.” He flashed a charcoal rendering of the midnight water. A long, shimmering black strand fell forward of the band securing his hair, lighting just at the edge of his upturned mouth. “No masterpiece here.”
Piercing umber eyes met Tarik’s, and the gentle smile relaxed his shoulders. “You were in the ballroom earlier.”
“Mmm. The bachelor party.”
Tarik pursed his lips, nodding once. “I’m staying in the hotel. Allow me to get for you a clean shirt.”
“It’s fine. I don’t have far to go.”
“In this cold, with no jacket, you will freeze. Please. I insist—”
“What's your name?” the younger man asked.
“I am Tarik.” He bowed.
“I'm Wo.” He nodded. “Thank you for your kind offer, Tarik.”
~*~*~*~
One lucky reader who is 18 or older and comments here will be randomly selected to win a free ebook of Traveler Through Darkness. Good luck!

Enjoy Traveler Through Darkness along with the Reader’s Guide.

Bio
MezzoFiction author, Fierce is imagination shapeshifted as a scribe taunting blank pages and carpal tunnel, neither of which are much use for deadlines. Close allies are impeccable timing and a trusty masseuse. Being a switch I/ENFP doesn't hurt. For kicks Fierce has other personas across several genres, tends to fill in “Other” on surveys without explaining, and chooses the finality of the Japanese Tamagotchi.
In summary: Fierce write all kind of dirty things that you shouldn’t read, ever …
Frolic with Fierce on:

4 comments:

  1. This sounds really good! I'm loving the Edge series too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your new release, Fierce! Sounds like a fabulously hot story. :)

    All the best!
    Jess
    jessicasubject.writer at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I also enjoy reading and writing short stories, although it took a lot of discipline in the beginning to keep them under novel size. :-) Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete