07 March 2012

How do they walk in those shoes?

by D.L. Jackson

Whenever you go into a strip club, you’re not going to see the dancers in flats, and there’s a reason for this. The first is that they’re just not sexy. High heels lengthen the leg and body, point the toe and add height. The second is that it’s easier to squat low in heels. Go ahead, try it sometime. When you’re dropping down low and bumping and grinding, the balance comes easier in heels. But how do they walk in those platforms and stilettos?

To start with, they take small steps. Watch them sometime. High heels are not sneakers and it’s not a race. Dancers don’t run. Their stroll has purpose, every movement is about balance. Exotic dancers move their entire body as they walk, using their shoulders, head and hips to balance on those tiny spikes as they go. It’s a rolling heel-to-toe—toe-to-heel movement, left hip, right shoulder, right hip, left shoulder. It takes practice, but when done well, the movement looks effortless, and makes one hell of a sexy sashay.

Runway models and showgirls use the same techniques, sometimes balancing ridiculously heavy head pieces and costumes. It truly is an art.

When writing my Carnality series, the Devil was in the details. I wanted to bring Jezebel to life, give the reader the feel and thrill of watching a pro move. When Jezebel is on the prowl, her every action is slow and seductive. Each step, each movement is choreographed to bring a desired result, turning a man to putty in her hand. Jezebel is a predator, a succubus, and there is no mistake she’s looking for prey. If I’ve done my job well, you’ll feel it as she walks.

So, the next time you see a woman in stilettos, watch them move.  They don’t walk, they prowl.

8 comments:

  1. I think that's why I don't do so well in heels. I prefer to take big steps, and my running shoes are perfect for that. Though I do where heels on rare occasions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to wear the high heels, but when I married, my husband is close to my height, and well I don't like towering over him. I don't think I could walk in them anymore if I wanted to. Lol. Do they have trainers, like bicycles?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got one pair of heels that come out from time to time, but back in the day (before I had kids) I'd always wear heels...sometimes 6inch heels. I don't know how I did it. One thing that bugs me, sometimes when a woman, or a man, is wearing heels, they walk with a constantly bent knee and it looks awkward and totally unsexy. And some people look like royalty when they wear heels. On the other hand/foot, you've got some who wear heels and take those tiny steps, and simply look like a hooker gone wrong -- THe House Bunny for example. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love high heels! They actually shift your center of gravity, you know, which is why it takes practice to walk in them. A 'good' walk in heels actually develops your core muscles almost as well as a Pilates routine, because they both use the body's core muscles in the abdomen and waist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and start with platform heels, like wedges. They help you get used to the height but still have a solid layer under your foot.

    I stopped wearing heels when I was pregnant and the kiddo was small & I had to run after him everywhere, but now that he's grown, I'm back in my platforms, boots, wedges, and stilettos (uh, yes, shoe-holic here...) *grin* At barely 5'3, I can definitely get away with the highest heels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wheeeee, Zee. I might have to dig out the CFMs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I soooo have a fetish for high heels! I have several pairs of 4 inch stilettos, but have no reason to wear them now :( I used to when I worked as a realtor. I'm such a tomboy, it's my one girlie trait.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't walk in them. Tried. Nearly broke my neck and gave in.I'm made for flats!

    ReplyDelete